KUAS features an engineering program that is closer to the manufacturing industry than ever before, in a country that is globally acclaimed for its engineering ingenuity. This is the all-new, all-English faculty of engineering by the Kyoto University of Advanced Science (KUAS). With a team of internationally distinguished faculty members and active professional engineers, the department established in 2020. Focusing on the technology that will help shape our future - electric vehicles, drones, robots, AI machinery, motor-related solutions, power generation systems and much more - we welcome the next generation of engineers to Kyoto. To create state-of-the-art technology, it is essential to provide state-of-the-art education.
With this in mind, we have created a program that has the supreme goal of providing an education that helps equip our student with the immediate real-world skills needed to best function in the modern world of engineering. Specializing in the field of mechanical, electrical, and mechatronics technology, we offer an outside-in approach that considers the current trends of the industry, allowing our students the opportunity to work with real engineers in Kyoto’s full-fledged manufacturing industry. Upon graduation, our aim is for our students to have the smoothest transition possible to work at world-renowned companies and institutions, in Japan and beyond.
Key Features and Field of Study
- Mechanical and Electrical Systems Engineering - Mechanical and Electrical Systems Engineering is concerned with the intelligent technology platforms needed to address global challenges in areas such as the environment, energy efficiency, mobility, infrastructure, sustainability, population management, disaster prevention and relief, food production, and large energy generation systems. It is also the technology fueling innovation in fields such as electrical vehicles, industrial robots, drones, AI-driven machinery, and motor-related solutions. Recognizing this diversity, KUAS offers a high degree of flexibility in academic specialization so that students can be exposed to a wide range of knowledge and expertise in the various fields demanded of professionally-balanced engineers. Our courses cover such topics as Design, Manufacturing, Mechatronics, Measurement, Control, Intelligent Systems and Robotics, Materials, Ionics, Electromagnetics, Actuators, Power and Energy Systems, Microelectronic Technologies and Devices, Integrated Circuits and Embedded Systems, Signal Analysis, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
- A Unique Curriculum That Allows Students to Challenge Themselves from Day One - One major educational objective of KUAS’ engineering program is to connect theory and practice in real-world applications. From the first year, KUAS provides practical coursework as a significant component of courses across the curriculum. During their four years of study students have many opportunities to develop their skills and learn how to apply them effectively in their future professional careers. Furthermore students can select courses with practical content that appeals to their interests, from dynamic mechanical systems (where one challenge is to create an inverted-pendulum robot), to courses focusing on software systems (for example, providing users with live feedback of information captured from sensors). Through these courses students are able to follow their interests and curiosity independently, nurturing and developing substantial engineering skills that lead to practical, creative solutions.
- Innovative Team-Based Learning - The Capstone Program - This connection, between developing both fundamental knowledge and the mindset to apply that knowledge creatively, is present throughout the curriculum and culminates in our innovative capstone program. As an alternative to a final research project, KUAS students engage “in the field” with real-world problems and engineering issues proposed by our partner companies. Students collaborate within small teams to devise creative solutions to these problems, using the in-depth knowledge and experience acquired throughout their coursework. The capstone program therefore gives our students a unique experience and understanding of the issues facing real-world industry today. To prepare for this challenge, students engage in a similar pre-capstone program during their third year.
From an engineer's perspective, Kyoto provides a uniquely stimulating environment for building a career. We embrace the presence of globally top-performing mechanical and electronics companies headquartered in Kyoto for our students. Therefore, engaging in industry placement during coursework will lead to an inspiring opportunity to explore a landscape of great career opportunities available here. Furthermore, KUAS ensures this kind of students' involvement in the industry will be the springboard for a smooth entry into life at post-graduation from KUAS. This is possible because of the existence of a myriad of excellent and global engineering firms based in Kyoto. In addition to this focus on practical, real-world experience, we offer our undergraduate students the choice to participate in research that allows them to connect their studies seamlessly into an academic path, preparing them to further develop their research interests with the goal of pursuing post-graduate education.
Undergraduate Admissions Process
- Discover our program!
- Familiarize yourself with the application requirements and procedures
- Complete the application procedure
- Take an online interview
- Take your first step as an engineer!
Click "Apply now" to learn more and start your journey with KUAS!