La Trobe University was named after Charles Joseph La Trobe, the first Superintendent of the Port Phillip District from 1839 to 1850 and first Lieutenant-Governor of the new colony of Victoria from 1851 to 1854. He was a man driven by his need to make a difference to the communities he served, leaving a legacy that continues today at La Trobe University.
In 1967, 552 students enrolled at La Trobe University, the third university to open in Victoria, which has grown to accommodate more than 29,000 students including international students from 110 countries.
La Trobe now have a network of campuses, mainly in Melbourne expanding in Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, Mildura, Melbourne City (Collins Street and Franklin Street), Shepparton and Sydney.
2017 marks 50 years of La Trobe University, and there will be a celebration, with current students and alumni sharing their La Trobe stories; cultural and environmental projects; reunions, and more.